This tutorial describes how to use SAP HANA with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017.
This tutorial requires that you have running SAP HANA instances.
This tutorial uses the SAP HANA, express edition installation.
- Make sure that you do not have any instances of Microsoft Visual Studio running while you are installing the plug-in.
- Download and install Microsoft Visual Studio (for example, from https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/).
- Go to SAP HANA, express edition to download the SAP HANA, express edition Download Manager, which includes the SAP HANA plug-in for Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Enter your registration information, accept the license agreement, and click Register.
- Verify that you have the appropriate version of the JRE installed.
- Download the appropriate version of the Download Manager (Linux, Microsoft Windows, or platform independent).
- Run the Download Manager.
- Select Clients (Windows) in the Download Manager.
- Click Download to download the clients_windows.zip file.
- Navigate to the directory where you downloaded the clients_windows.zip file and unzip it. This ZIP file contains the following files:
- Navigate to the directory where you unzipped the clients_windows.zip file, and unzip the hdb_client_windows_x86_64.zip file, which creates the HDB_CLIENT_WINDOWS_X86_64 directory.
- Navigate to the HDB_CLIENT_WINDOWS_X86_64 directory and run the hdbinst.exe utility. Follow the onscreen instructions. This utility installs the Microsoft Visual Studio plug-in.
- Connect to SAP HANA, express edition from Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Open Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Select View > Server Explorer.
- Right-click Data Connections then select Add Connection… from the Server Explorer window.
- Select SAP HANA Database for the Data source.
- Select .NET Framework Data Provider for SAP HANA from the Data provider drop-down list.
- Select Always use this selection.
- Click OK.
- Add this information in the Add Connection window:
- Host name – the name of the machine on which your SAP HANA server is running. Alternatively, you can include the server name of your SAP HANA, express edition installation and specify the port the following format: <my.hana.source>:<port_number>.
- Instance # – 90 for SAP HANA, express editions newer than version 1.0.
- Connect database – select System Database.
- Login information – User name: is SYSTEM and Password: is the password you set when you installed SAP HANA or SAP HANA, express edition.
- Click OK.
- Verify that the SAP HANA plug-in is installed:
- Open .
- Confirm that SAP HANA Explorer for Visual Studio is included in the Installed list.
If it is not installed, then run the \hdbclient\ado.net\HanaExplorer.vsix utility. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the plug-in. Alternatively, you can uninstall and reinstall the SAP HANA client for Microsoft Windows client.
- Click Close to return to Microsoft Visual Studio.